The quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to start playing a part in slowing climate change is making sure the light and water in your home is as energy efficient as possible.
UUS and the Green Sanctuary Team are partnering with the Johnson Clean Energy District (JCED) to sell LED bulbs and low-flow showerheads for members and friends of the congregation. JCED is a nonprofit citizen initiative working to implement efficient, affordable, and clean energy in Johnson County while increasing environmental benefits, community access, business opportunities, and consumer demand for clean energy.
Why should you participate?
- LEDs use 90% less electricity and last 50 times longer than incandescent bulbs. If 50 UUS households switched 10 incandescent bulbs to LEDs, collectively they could reduce CO2e by as much as 11.8 metric tons/year.
- Low-flow showerheads reduce water consumption by as much as 60%, cutting water and energy needed to heat water. The Kohler Awaken is a high-quality showerhead that received top billing from JCED families. If 50 households upgrade to this product, we could collectively reduce CO2e by 40 metric tons and save 383,250 of gallons of water in the coming year.
And, because we’re doing it together, it’s cheaper! JCED works with two local distributors – Sitler’s LED Supplies in Washington, Iowa and PSC Distribution in Iowa City – to get the lowest prices possible for bulk orders of high-quality products and to support the area’s green economy.
Please join us! If you haven’t made these simple upgrades, or you know someone who hasn’t, don’t miss this opportunity!
How to Participate:
- Print a hard copy of the Order Form here (PDF), or pick one up in the UUS vestibule at any time. Send the order form to UUS at 23555 Oakdale Road. Include a check payable to UUS with JCED in memo line.
- Email the completed order form to email@example.com and pay online at https://onrealm.org/uusic/give/JCED. Make sure the name on your payment matches the name on the order form.
- Visit our table at UUS on Sunday mornings, April 10th, 17th, and 24th, to place your order an immediately pick up and pay for your items.
If you mail or email your order form to UUS, you will be notified on how to pick up your items.
We are accepting orders from low-income families who would like to purchase items but can’t contribute financially, and we are also accepting donations to support those orders. Any donations received that exceed the final order total will be used by JCED to support low to moderate income families participating in future programs.
Order forms and payments should be received by May 1st, 2022.
Contact Craig Mosher (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.